Sunday, September 29, 2019

Film vs Digital

A common debate in photography is whether film or digital photography is better. When it comes to landscape and nature photography there are many photographers that swear by digital for most of their shots as well as many who prefer to use film. With that said, many professional photographers are able to use both effectively. There are tradeoffs with both

Below, I have linked a short article on the Dark Room website that does a photo comparison of digital. They compare landscape photos side by side, the left one being on a film camera and the right photo on a digital one. They claim that they used the same settings in both pictures and that both are unedited. The first difference I notice is the film picture has much more vibrant and rich colors and when I look closer I notice less grain. The article goes on to list the advantages of both digital and film. I will not list all the advantages they mention in the article but it clams that film as advantages such as better detail, higher resolution, being more forgiving with minor focusing issues, and that you have to think about the image more before taking it. The advantages it lists for digital include convenience/instant gratification because you can look at the photos instantly and they can be stored on a small memory card, variable shutter speed between individual shots, built-in filters, and instant and convenient editing.

This article raised a question that it didn't answer, which was why the film camera has advantages like producing a more vivid color picture when unedited with the same settings or why it gives better detail. 

Personally, I prefer digital. This is mostly because I am a beginner photographer who is just learning about the different exposure settings and what they do. Being able to snap a photo, look at it, change my exposure settings and take another instantly makes gaining an understanding of exposure and how to manipulate it to get what I want much quicker and easier. Another reason is that the most striking difference between the two compared photos (the vividness of colors) can be changed with filters while taking the shot and/or the easy and convenient editing programs almost instantly after the shot is taken. For now, I will stick with digital, but later on, once I gain an understanding of all the concepts I many try film photography.

https://thedarkroom.com/film-vs-digital-comparison/

No comments:

Post a Comment

My 3 takeaways

The first important thing I learned in this class is the exposure triangle and how to apply it when shooting. Setting my camera in manual mo...